Work Pass for mid-level skilled workers – S Pass
You can apply for S Pass if you are a mid-level skilled worker seeking employment in Singapore. There is a general cap on the number of workers who can be admitted into Singapore under mid-level skilled worker category. The cap is revised on an annual basis depending on demand and supply of workers. To be eligible for S Pass, you will have to meet the criterion set by the Government of Singapore – the more you meet, the more likely are you to get an S Pass.
The other important condition for issue of S Pass is your minimum fixed salary which must be at least $2,200. Young applicants generally stand a better chance of getting an S Pass. Older applicants can offset this criterion if they are able to contract a job with higher salary and bring in superior skill sets. Your application for S Pass should be routed through your employer after you have completed and signed a contract with them.
Generally it is the responsibility of the employer to obtain an S Pass on your behalf. Once obtained, you are responsible for keeping your S Pass safe, and it should be produced to authorities whenever called for.
Conditions for issuing EntrePass are:
- Paid-up capital of the company must be minimum $50,000
- Applicant must provide evidence proving that the company has at least $50,000 in a Singapore-based bank
- At least 30% of the company’s share capital must be owned by the applican
- The business must be legal under Singapore’s laws
- The paid-up capital of the company must be minimum $50,000
- Have a technical certificate in an acceptable trade, and have spent at least 1 year study in a training institute for obtaining the certificate, or
- Have a certain period of experience to your credit and properly evidenced
The Ministry of Manpower maintains a list showing venues that have a strong demand for workforce in Singapore. Your chances of obtaining an S Pass improve if you seek employment in one of it. The list is periodically revised in consultation with the concerned departments of the government and the industries. Currently the following activities get preference for issue of S Pass.
- Manufacturing – electronics & precision engineering, chemicals & bio-medicals, aerospace, marine & off-shore activities…etc
- Construction Industry – civil engineers, electrical engineers, quality surveyors, testing & commissioning engineers, project engineers…etc
- Healthcare Industry – dieticians, laboratory technicians, nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, clinical psychologists, dentists…etc
- Finance – investment managers, research analysts, insurance professionals, project managers, IT professionals…etc
- Communication & Digital Media – game producers & programmers, animators, concept artists, lighting designers…etc
- Tourism & Retail – Stage designers, Art curators, Technical stage crew…etc
To be eligible for bringing in your dependant family members, you will be required to draw a minimum salary of $4,000.