Training Work Permit is for semi-skilled or unskilled individuals and is issued to those who want to undergo training in Singapore. Another category eligible for issue of Training Work Permit is foreign students who are currently studying in a Singapore educational institution and who wish to take training. For both categories, the employer is responsible for making the application. The maximum validity period of a Training Work Permit is limited to 6 months.
- In cases where the employer is giving training to semi-skilled and unskilled work, they are required to pay a levy according to the industry and sector. There is a cap on the number of Training Work Permit that can be allowed at any given time.
- In case of employers providing training to foreign students who want to undergo training in Singapore, the employer is not required to pay a levy. The total number of trainees an employer can have is pegged at 5% of the employer’s work force and is subject to a maximum of 15.
The following documents are required for issue of Training Work Permit.
- Filled in prescribed application form.
- A letter from the employer stating that the trainee will be an employee of the company during the period of training in Singapore, and further the purpose and duration for which the trainee will be given training. The letter should also state that the employer is responsible for repatriating the trainee after completion of training.
The letter should also include the following information when the trainee is an employee of a foreign company who is coming in for training to Singapore with a local employer.
- The relationship between the local employer and the company in which the trainee is employed.
- Documents establishing the relationship between the trainee’s company and the local employer company.
Applications for foreign students for issue of Training Work Permit must include a copy of the Student Pass and a letter stating:
- The field of study
- The Duration of the course
- The Course registration date and expected graduation date
- That Training is part of the curriculum
- The duration for which training is required
Applicants are required to pay a fee at the time of submitting the application and another upon issuance.